Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Life after a web dev bootcamp (part 2 of 2)

While interning I was able to build two sites from the ground up. I taught myself how to overcome obstacles and how to work on my own.  Then I realized that what I had learned at the web dev boot camp was way too much and its impossible to learn10 languages and be proficient in 3 in a matter of 3 months; basically you are just introduced to how the language works.  I think that is why most employers don't see that as a real life experience.  Employers like that you made that decision, and you went through the rough time at the web dev bootcamp, but I think that is not enough in a competitive tech field. 

Being in a competitive tech world I think one of the advantages I have is my arts degree; and having some understanding of web development. I realized that most people don't have or haven't experienced their creative side. That is where I come in. My ability to see colors and color combinations and layout is one  of my strengths.  This is where I began to be more self confident. 


I am getting a variety of experiences from interning in the tech field. But I think I still have a long way to go. The question I ask myself over and over again  "is it better to get a real degree or attend a bootcamp? I guess it all depends of your curriculum, your knowledge, your age, and how much coding experience you have prior to the bootcamp. If you have some background from high school and college; of course you will succeed and get a job right a way. But if you are  a slow learner,  I think the chances are much much less to get a real job. You will succeed but perhaps it might take longer than expected... I think that all depends how much effort you put in to it and how much discipline you have. 




Now the question is how long do I wait? Until I run out of funds? Will the next bubble will keep me from reaching a dream job?  Not sure, I guess only time will tell. And for me, I will have to find a way to combine both, tech and arts.  I guess the only thing I can do to find that job is to continue learning and teaching myself and looking for places or people who can help me answer a question or can guide me to the right place. Perhaps my answer is to create my own team and my own business (job).

No comments:

Post a Comment